The Sukhothai Bangkok and HiveSters cordially invite you to attend and promote a fundraising charity event, “APPEAR project: Bangkok Uncovered II” to support the social development projects of six endangered communities in Bangkok.
The project has derived from our creation of the APPEAR project to preserve disappearing communities and culture and to make them reappear again through sustainable tourism, partnering with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) – Tourism Division. The Sukhothai Bangkok has collaborated in this project in order to promote sustainable activities in six disappearing communities, whilst improving the livelihoods of the locals. The six endangered communities include – 1. Koh Sarn Chao 2. Bang Lamphu 3. Hua Takhe 4. Bang Kradi 5. Ban Bu and 6. Nang Loeng. This is the first collaboration of a public-private partnership to develop sustainable travel activities in Bangkok and to improve the livelihoods of local people in the communities, thus enabling them to ‘appear’ again.
Subject: Charity event, APPEAR project: Bangkok Uncovered II
Date: Sunday, 2nd December 2018
Time: 10 am - 9 pm
Location: The Garden Villa of The Sukhothai Bangkok hotel
“Communities are disappearing…together we can make them APPEAR again”
In this, the second year of celebration of the project, the team are organizing the “Bangkok Uncovered II” event with the objective of promoting sustainable community travel and fundraising money for community social projects. The event organisers include – 1) HiveSters 2) The Sukhothai Bangkok hotel 3) Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) – Tourism Division.
Moreover this year, we would like to expand to another seven communities by supporting their products and workshops which is consist of – 1. Talad Noi 2. Vichalai in the garden, Bangmod 3. Hala Market at Charoenkrung 103 4. Klong Ladmayom market 5. Taladname Song Klong, Taling chan 6. Bangkok dee jung 7. Baanwangchup Seafood, Bangkuntien.
We would like to invite you and your audiences to come along to explore the hidden gems of Bangkok’s old neighbourhoods and to support community social projects!
Experience the different traditions of thirteen local communities and participate in a range of fascinating cultural activities, many of which are slowly being forgotten and lost in time, including –
· Creative Thai arts and crafts workshops by community artisans ie. sustainable kites made from leaf gilded black lacquer (Lai Rod Nam), the hand embroidery of Mon shawls, Mon paper crafts and (un)alike self portrait drawing.
· Rare musical, dance and craft performances, ie. banana trunk carving, vintage stone powder flower garland (Pang Puang) creation, Mon music, Chatree dancing.
· Learn secret recipes from community grandmas, ie. golden threads and kanom Jak.
· Shop for unique gifts or just chill out and treat your tastebuds to an endless assortment of delicious food and desserts, ie. Mon caramel and mung bean marzipan.
· Try the ancient Rae Rai, bale jelly, Thai steamed red lotus stem cake.
· Get special deals with vouchers from a truly luxury five star hotel – The Sukhothai Bangkok, including room, buffet and spa packages.
· Plan your own trip to explore these communities by booking a fun, sustainable tour with HiveSters.
· Discover unusual artefacts and be the winning bidder in the community auction, for art pieces by community artists and handmade bronze knives.
· See the mask making workshop from Talad Noi and Thai dessert workshop from Vichalai in the garden.
· Visit the salty egg workshop from Bangkok Noi.
· Try out the local seafood market from Baan Wangchup, Bangkuntien.
After event costs, all sales proceeds will go directly towards funding community-led social initiatives such as the creation of a children’s library and the refurbishing of a rundown museum.